2017 High School & College Student Essay, Poetry, and Video Contest
In addition to cash prizes, the twelve winners (top two entries from each category) and a guest are eligible to receive two complimentary tickets* to attend our 16th Annual Evening of Aloha Gala Dinner Saturday, September 23, 2017 at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in Los Angeles, California! Enjoy an opportunity to meet Japanese American World War II veterans and their families!
To enter: Submit a 250-500 word ESSAY, a work of POETRY (3 typed pages or less), or a 3-5 minute VIDEO on one of the following topics:
- The Japanese American WWII veteran experience is still relevant to our society today. Explore one of the ways this is true.
- Japanese American WWII veterans not only had the courage to fight against the enemy abroad; they fought for their civil rights at home. Our Missions of Courage and Compassion Program seeks to preserve the WWII Japanese American veteran legacy of standing up for equality through projects which address contemporary issues of equality. Explore how you stand up for equality as inspired by the WWII Japanese American veterans.
DEADLINE: Friday, June 30, 2017
- Identify your school and grade/level (2016-2017 school year), and include your phone number.
- Email ESSAYS or POEMS to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post VIDEOS to YouTube, and email link to email@example.com.
Winners will be notified by email by Saturday, August 5, 2017!
GFBNEC is pleased to announce that Pacific Global Investment Management Company is once again the Presenting Sponsor of this year's contest. Their generous contribution is made in memory of long-time community philanthropists and business leaders Manabi Hirasaki (World War II veteran) and Sig Kagawa. The contest has also been made possible by the generous support of two Supporting Sponsors: Ken and June Shimabukuro, and an anonymous donor in memory of World War II veteran Masao Takahashi.
*Please be advised that travel and/or accommodations are not included with the complimentary tickets to Evening of Aloha Gala Dinner.
DownloadsStudent Contest Flyer
Thank you in advance for your support...
Please provide us with your complete contact information by checking the "Share my information..." box on payment page. This will allow us to send you a tax write-off letter for your donation.
Click here to continue