Our volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization.
They keep our operations running smoothly and our educational programs going strong.
We welcome volunteers of all ages and skill levels. Whether you are a full-time student needing service credits, a busy executive who wants to give back to the community in your spare hours, or a retiree looking for opportunities as you embark on the next chapter of your life, we have a wide variety of volunteer opportunities to suit your interests.
Here are just some of the ways you can help preserve and share the Japanese American soldier experience:
- Oral History Crew – Our Hanashi Oral History Program needs you! Projects include assisting as one of the following: interviewer, videographer, audio technician, or cataloguer.
- Oral History Transcriber – Are you a good listener and pretty quick on a keyboard? Then maybe transcribing our oral history interviews is perfect for you. Our volunteers get hooked: many say it feels like they’ve sat down for a long chat with a veteran. We provide the training.
- Oral History Researchers – Have a keen eye and ear? You may be interested in viewing taped interviews in search of specific content.
- Historical Researchers – Like history? Research? Creating unique historical programs and projects to keep the 100/442/MIS legacy alive? Our Programs Department might need your help.
- Collections Volunteer – Like working with historical photographs and documents? Our archivists are always on the look out for people with the aptitude and patience to digitize and catalog historical materials.
- Digital Media – Interested in computers and Web applications? We have projects that need attention, like creating computer streaming video files from taped interviews.
- Data Entry – Our donor community keeps growing – and sometimes donors move so we are constantly updating our donor information.
- Office/Clerical – There are always ways to help around a busy office: answering phones, assisting with mailings, filing, and much more.
- Special Events – Available to volunteer on a one-time or as-needed basis? Part of a group that wants to chip in together? Throughout the year we need help with various events such as film screenings, receptions, gala dinners, and community programs.
Got other ideas on how we can use your time and talents? Let us know!